One widely asked question is “does Costco accept EBT Cards?” This article aims to give a detailed answer to that question.
What is Costco?
Costco is an American corporation. It is a warehouse store that gives access to only members (that is people with Costco membership cards) and has over 700 stores which makes it the second-largest retailer in the world right after Walmart. Costco provides a wide range of grocery products at wholesale prices and EBT Cards are accepted there.
Does Costco Accept EBT Cards?
All Costco warehouses accept EBT Cards. Costco keeps to all state rules governing the use of EBT cards at their stores. Costco car washes and gas stations do not accept EBT.
How to Use EBT Cards at Costco Stores
Once you are eligible to receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Plan (SNAP) benefits, you can purchase any EBT approved items at any Costco Warehouse Nationwide.
When you pick any of the approved items, you swipe your card at the point of sale register. You will be asked to put in your PIN (personal identification number). The EBT card works just like a debit card.
Also Read: Does Subway Accept EBT Cards
EBT Card Eligible Food Items at Costco
If you select unapproved food items, the transaction will be declined. So, here is a list of approved items that can be purchased with an EBT card.
- Red meat (like beef, steak, ribs, e.t.c.)
- Bread and cereals
- Dessert items (like ice cream, brownies, e.t.c.)
- Dairy products (like milk, yogurt, e.t.c.)
- Pork products (like pork chops, bacon, e.t.c.)
- Seeds, and nuts (like cashew nuts, peanuts, e.t.c.)
- Fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables
- Cooking oils (like olive oil, coconut oil, e.t.c.)
- Candy (like Snickers, M&M, e.t.c.)
- Snacks and Chips (like Doritos, Ritz Crackers, e.t.c.)
- Energy Drinks and Soft Drinks (like Fanta, Redbull, e.t.c.)
- Poultry (like turkey breast, chicken wings, e.t.c.)
List of Items That Cannot Be Purchased at Costco with the EBT Card
Before making any purchase, you have to make sure that you have enough in your EBT balance. This is to avoid the transaction not being processed and incurring differences when you have to pay via other means. You also have to make sure that it is an approved item. Here is a list of unapproved items:
- Protein shake
- Protein powder
- Protein bars
- Feminine hygiene products
- Household supplies
- Cleaning supplies
From the information here, you can tell Costco would accept EBT Cards from customers.